The second-generation Moroccan migrant accused of ploughing into pedestrians in the Italian city of Modena on Saturday reportedly sought to justify his actions by telling investigators he had been bullied, marginalized, and was living in a racist country.
Salim El Koudri, 31, was arrested after allegedly driving a Citroen C3 through the city center, hitting seven people and leaving two victims with such catastrophic injuries that they required amputations of their lower limbs. One of the victims remains in a life-threatening condition.
According to Il Giornale, El Koudri told investigators, “I’m bullied, marginalized, and I live in a racist country.”
El Koudri was born in Seriate, near Bergamo, to Moroccan parents and lived alone in Ravarino, in the province of Modena. He is unemployed, has a degree in economics, and has no criminal record. He had previously received psychiatric treatment in 2022 for schizoid personality disorder.
Witnesses said the car deliberately targeted pedestrians, as seen in footage posted by Remix News, which X has prevented from being embedded.

One account cited by the Italian newspaper said it looked as though the vehicle was trying to “mow down as many people as possible.”
The suspect reportedly exited the vehicle and attempted to stab witnesses who chased after him as he sought to flee.
The attack has drawn comparisons to previous vehicle-ramming attacks in Nice, Berlin, and Barcelona, though the motive in Modena has not been confirmed as religious or ideological. Il Giornale suggested investigators are focusing instead on possible personal resentment, isolation, and hatred toward the society in which El Koudri lived.
The suspect was eventually stopped by members of the public, including Luca Signorelli, who was injured while helping to restrain him. Signorelli later met Italian President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.
“It was a necessary gesture to show the world that humanity is still here. I showed that Italy is not dead. I would probably do it again,” Signorelli said.
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani has called for Signorelli and the other citizens who intervened to receive official recognition. He said the state should reward people who defend the rule of law and suggested a medal for civil valor could be considered.
“Despite being wounded, he sacrificed himself to save the lives of those who were there. I thank him for this courageous act of altruism, an example for all,” Tajani said.
Meloni also thanked the civilians who intervened. “What happened today in Modena, where a man ran over several pedestrians before stabbing a passerby, is extremely serious. I express my condolences to the injured and their families. I also thank the citizens who had the courage to intervene and arrest the perpetrator, and the police for their intervention. I have spoken with the mayor and remain in constant contact with the authorities to monitor developments in the case. I am confident that the perpetrator will be held fully accountable for his actions,” she said.
Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini also named El Koudri in a statement and rejected any attempt to excuse the attack.
Salim El Koudri.
Questo il nome del criminale “di seconda generazione” che oggi a Modena ha falciato, con la sua auto a folle velocità, dei passanti.
Fermato da coraggiosi cittadini nonostante avesse un coltello, è stato arrestato.
Leggo che avrebbe agito con rancore perché “si… pic.twitter.com/mxxMAos6Sf
— Matteo Salvini (@matteosalvinimi) May 16, 2026
“Salim El Koudri. This is the name of the ‘second-generation’ criminal who today in Modena mowed down passersby with his car at reckless speed. Stopped by courageous citizens despite having a knife, he was arrested. I read that he acted out of resentment because ‘he felt bullied’… Madness. There can be no justification for such an infamous act,” Salvini wrote.
The suspect was found not to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the attack, according to Il Messaggero.
A police investigation into a possible manslaughter charge, with the Modena prosecutor’s office telling the Italian newspaper that the conditions for the charge have been met as it was an “act capable of endangering public safety and carried out with the specific intent to kill.”
Anti-terror police continue to be involved in the investigation while a motive is confirmed.
