Tank used in Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia on temporary display in Budapest

The replacement tank will stand in during the renovation of a T-34 tank

editor: REMIX NEWS
author: MTI

The venerable Soviet T-34 tank on display in front of the Budapest Military History Institute and Museum will temporarily be replaced by another Soviet-made tank, the light amphibious PT-76, a model probably best known in Hungary because it was used by the Hungarian Armed Forces during the 1968 Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia.

The T-34 on display — arguably the most important armored vehicle of World War II — was in dire need of renovation and towed away last night.

It was replaced by a PT-76 amphibious tank developed in the 1950s for the Soviet Red Army and the Soviet Naval Infantry (their version of marines) as a reconnaissance vehicle.

tend: 1642599711.1139